Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Labyrinth by Kate Mosse

Cover Description:  July 2005.  In the Pyrenees mountains near Carcassonne, Alice, a volunteer at an archaeological dig, stumbles into a cave and makes a startling discovery-two crumbling skeletons, strange writings on the walls, and the pattern of the labyrinth.

Eight hundred years earlier; on the eve of a brutal crusade that will rip apart southern France, a young woman Alais is given a ring and a mysterious boo for safekeeping from her father.  The book, he says, contains the secret of the true Grail, and the ring, inscribed with a labyrinth, will identify a guardian of the Grail.  Now as the crusading armies gather outside the city walls of Carcassonne, it will take a tremendous sacrifice to keep the secret of the labyrinth safe...

First off the book is better than the cover description, I wanted to check out this book twice but the cover description seemed boorish for lack of a better word but after reading a few reviews I decided to check it out for myself.

I really liked the Alais parts (shocker right) that takes place during early 1200's, which focused on her relationship with her dad, her husband and the books concealing the key to the grail.  I did like the present day situations but I would have much rather preferred to read a novel about Alais and Guilhem, then have the constant back and forth.  I liked the character of Alais (which was very similar to the present day Alice) and wanted more from her.  The ending to Alias' tale could have been more detailed, it more or less second hand skimmed version of the 30 years she lived until Oriane caught up to her again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment