The Scent of Rain and Lightning is a simple novel, set in a small town in Kansas whose major income is cattle ranching. The family involved is the richest family in town and they share a devastating past. 23 years ago the oldest son in the family was killed, his young and pretty wife went missing which left a 3 year old daughter an orphan. That little girl is now 26 and has just learned that the man who was tried and convicted of murdering her dad is being set free. Which causes her a lot of pain and agony, but it also opens the doors for a few family secrets to come out.
I really liked this novel, it was short and a simple read. The characters were complex but the author didn't really bog you down with a ton of inconsequential descriptions. I will admit that I almost stopped reading half way through because I had "figured" out the mystery. I was glad that I didn't because while I had the general idea down I was wrong and the way it ended was even better than I had imagined. I am going to check out another book by his author because I really liked her writing style.
No comments:
Post a Comment