Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Passage by Justin Cronin

The Passage is all it is hyped up to be and more.  I was skeptical about reading this book just for the simple fact that everyone loved it.  Usually I dislike books that everyone loves (case in point The Davinci Code) but my library has a copy and I have nothing better to do so I gave it a chance.  I was so happy that I did (see I can step out of my little bubble)

The book takes place sometime in the future, it has a very I Am Legend feel to it.  Only instead of zombies the virus made vampires.  The book spans 100 years starting with the beginning of the outbreak and 100 years after the outbreak with small colonies living behind walls with lights to keep the vamps out.  The virus wipes out civilazation as we know it.  The main characters live in fear of the vamps and yet are hopeful that they will overcome them. 

The book is suspenseful and kept me reading well past my bedtime most nights.  I didn't rush through it (which I usually do) because the author really keeps the adrenaline up and the slow parts to a minimum.  Cronin does not waste space with useless filler words, but still managed to write an original deep story about relationships, love and killer vampires.  Honestly what more could you want in a book?

The ending was a shocker.  I did not expect it at all and now I am left wondering if it is a cliffhanger or if that indeed is the end.  I would like there to be another book just because I loved this one so much but if that is how the book ends,  wow just wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment