Jen Lancaster is hilarious. She writes memoirs and is a self proclaimed asshole who constantly puts her very expensive shoes in her very big mouth. With her latest book she decides to have a soul makeover. She calls it her "Jenaissance" and proceeds to brighten her horizons by trying new things and stepping out of her box. The result is a hilarious account of her trying new foods, going to the theater and even taking a few wine classes. Mrs. Lancaster is fresh and honest. I was practically crying trying not to laugh and wake up my husband while reading the part about the Turkish restaurant. I loved this book and really wish my library had her other titles.
Sadly, I feel the same way as Jen some days. Living in a small town with a very uncultured husband and two small children most days are spent with the same routine over and over again. I think there are opportunities to try different things but frankly I cannot afford or have the free time to experience them. I would love to have the time, money and energy that Jen does to take on my own Jenaissance. The only culture I get is from the local library. I might try to branch out and read more books that are out of my comfort zone. I tend to skip over chic lit, anything that has to do with mopey females pining over their "Ashley" (on a side note Gone With The Wind is one of my all time favorite books, go figure), and books that have no point. The kind that are like one big 500 page version of "lost in translation". I need to stop being so picky and read books that I would normally never ever consider, maybe even a Nicholas Sparks novel.
God that made me shudder just thinking about it.
Now where to start....
No comments:
Post a Comment