Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Rebel Angels by Libba Bray

Rebel Angels is the second book in the Gemma Doyle Trilogy.  I enjoyed the first book but wasn't sure if I wanted to continue on with the series, I must say though that the second book was 10 times better than the first.  I liked the maturity the girls are showing, this book dove deeper into the reasons the girls behave the way they do  Which reveals a few secrets along the way and makes the characters more likeable.  The setting of this book is London while the girls are away from Spence on Christmas Holiday, I think that is the main reason I enjoyed this novel more, instead of boring day to day trials of prep school instead the girls were thrown into London society.  I found that much more interesting. 

The novel follows the same group of girls which I enjoy and also ads more into Gemma's home life.  I am still uncertain if her family will play a larger role or not but they did make a much more significant appearance in this novel. 

I like the history, mixed with fantasy with just a hint of romance that Bray creates in these novels.  I especially like that Gemma, Ann and Felicity are human, they are spoiled bratty girls and act like it, which is a breath of fresh air.  I like a heroine that is flawed, makes her much more realistic for me.  These girls act like 16 year old girls. 

I have the third book on hold at the Library and I hope that I enjoy it as much as I did this second book.  It is so rare to find a second novel that is as appealing (if not more so) than the first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment