Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout

I picked this novel up because the author wrote a review on the back of a recent book, I think it was Major Pettigrew and I like to read books from authors that appear on back covers, usually they have the same sort of style. 

I am neutral about this one, not sure if I liked it but at the same time I didn't hate it.  The story is vague, jumping from one character to another but somehow all leading back to Olive (who is a total basket case).  It almost scared me sometimes how much Olive seemed like my own mother and the mother I worry constantly I am turning into.

 The story is disjointed, following different people in a small town and how they connect to Olive, the stories themselves really have nothing much to do with Olive, but more paint a full picture of who she is.

It is about love, but more the loss of love rather than the finding of love.  About betrayal of love, understanding love and finally accepting love, and as usual when that happens you always have to say good-bye to love and hope you might say hello to love one day again.

I thought some parts were spectacular and some not so much.  Read it for yourself and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment